Making adjustments to your footplate is easier than you think.
Don't you appreciate technology? To be honest, sometimes I hate it but it's especially valuable during these times! Imagine not having technology during the COVID-19 pandemic...
Giving Rowers Responsibility
I think it's difficult for most coaches to make tiny adjustments to every rower's set-up in the boat. Although it's ideal, it's typically not practical. Most coaches are underpaid, working other jobs, and have 30+ athletes to look after. This is one of the reasons why I think it's valuable to give rowers the responsibility over their own equipment. Teach them a skill, show them how to do it on their own and have them do it before they launch their boats. Here is one strategy that rowers can do on their own.
Setting your Footplate Angle
With today's technology we can make adjustments to our footplate by using a simple app on our phone. Here's how to do it.
1) Download or open the Measure App.
2) Select Level.
3) Zero out on the gunnel.
4) Place the side that was touching the gunnel on the footplate.
5) Adjust the footplate to your goal number. (Find you ideal number here)
6) Remeasure to confirm it's correct.
7) Tighten everything down and give your new number a shot!
8) Adjust until you find your ideal angle.
Blake Gourley holds a Masters of Science in Sports Performance Training and has over 12+ years of experience working with rowers. Read more